The will of creating an art museum in A Coruña rose at the end of 19th century. However, the museum was not established until 1922 and opened for the general public until 1947. After several temporary emplacements, in 1995 was opened the present new building - designed by the Galician architect Manuel Gallego Jorreto. Located in the old plot of the Capuchin Sisters Convent, the new building is born from the old construction made by Fernando Casas y Novoa in 18th century.
The museum exhibits paintings, drawings, sculptures, engravings, decorative art pieces and archaeology pieces. The painting collection holds works from the 16th century up to today, representing the most important Galician artists such as Sotomayor, Colmeiro, Laxeiro or Seoane, but also other creations by Arellano, Rubens, Carducho or Frans Francken. The most outstanding pieces of the collections are the etchings by Goya the ceramics from the Sargadelos factory. In the last decade, the purchase programme of the museum has tried to complete the range of Galician art from the 19th century up to today.
The museum offers nine halls of permanent exhibiting distributed in three floors, hosting the painting, sculpture and decorative arts collections. The etchings by Goya and the ceramics of Sargadelos factory are displayed in two halls of the recovered Capuchin Sisters Convent. The temporary exhibition hall measures over 300 m²and it is distributed in two floors - ready to house art works from a diverse range of formats.
The Museum of Fine Arts of A Coruña is owned by the State and managed by the Xunta de Galicia.
Rúa Zalaeta s/n
15002, A Coruña
Tlf. +34 881 881 700
Fax +34 881 881 701
Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm and from 16:30 pm to 8 pm
Sunday from 10 am to 2 pm
Mondays and holidays closed