The Provincial Museum of Pontevedra was created the 30th of December of 1927 by the Provincial Council. The museum was publicly opened the 10th of August of 1929. Since then, the museum has increased significantly its collections and the buildings that host these, up to the current six constructions. Five of them are located in old fortified medieval town, the sixth is right next to it.
The buildings and their contents are:
San Domingos Ruins. These are the sole remains (14th to 15th century) found nowadays from the Dominicos old convent complex (church and communitarian rooms). Along with these, the exhibition shows trade epitaphs, baldachins, religious sculptures, architectonic remains from other buildings and an important selection of heraldic carvings coming from all over the city and province.
Sarmiento Building. It was the Jesuit School. It was built during the 18th century and it belongs to the Museum since 1979. The building was restored in 2013. It hosts architectonic funds from the Prehistory and the Antiquity, from the medieval Galician Art to the 13th century. The building also houses the crockery collection from Sargadelos, the Celtic ceramic, tiles and other pottery products, along with the contemporary and Asian-oriental art collection of Sánchez Mesas-Fernández de Tejada.
Castro Monteagudo Building. The founding building of the Museum opened in August of 1929. It was built during the second half of the 18th century and hosts the silversmithing (civil and religious) the non-Galician painting (from Gothic , Renaissance and Baroque periods).
García Flórez Building. It was build at the end of 18th century, it belongs to the Museum since 1943. The building houses the jet collection, Saint James' iconography, engravings from Santiago de Compostela, religious sculpture, popular pottery, glass from La Granja and crafts made of iron, linen and wool. All these accompanied by a Galician traditional kitchen, maritime halls, specific spaces for sailors, for Méndez Núñez and the Numancia Frigate, and halls devoted to traditional music from Galicia.
Fernández López Building. Started in 1964, the building has been growing until 2003, when the last extension was opened. The building hosts the offices of the board, the secretary and technical staff, the researchers’ halls, the library and the documental and graphic archives. This way, the core of the museum becomes a research centre.
Sixth Building. New building, opened in 2013. The Sixth Building shows the collection of Spanish painting from 19th and 20th centuries, along with Galician art from 14th century to today. There is space particularly saved for the work of the physician, artist and politician Alfonso Daniel Rodríguez Castelao. Lastly, the museum houses an auditorium for 250 people, catering and stage workshops, funds deposits and temporary exhibition halls.