The location of the museum is the old Episcopal Pazo, at the heart of the old town. The pazo was declared historical - artistic site in 1931. The complex has a Romanesque central part and later extension.
Currently, the complex is being remodelled. The services of the museum moved to Santa María de Europa - Carballeira, where most of the collections are kept except for one selection of the most representative sculpture. This collection is permanently exhibited under the title "Escolma de Escultura" (Sculpture Anthology) in the exhibition hall San Francisco - which also serves for other exceptional activities.
The museum preserves an important quantity and variety of funds. The collections hold a remarkable archaeological and historical section, including representative series of the Palaeolithic and Megalithic world and castro and Gallaecian-Roman and Roman pieces (paying special attention to epigraphy) The museum also holds a Preroman and Medieval archaeological collection - mainly related to construction - along with a fine arts section, including Renaissance and Baroque sculptures, 17th and 18th century paintings, late 19th century paintings, almost all the work of the painter from Ourense Ramón Parada Juster, and decorative arts.
The Archaeological Museum of Ourense is owned by the State and managed by the Xunta de Galicia.
Fachada do antigo pazo episcopal
Arracada de Vilar de Santos (cultura castrexa)
“Escolma de Escultura” na sala de exposicións San Francisco
Placa de Amiadoso (século II d.C. e séculos IX-X d.C.)
Claustro do Pazo Episcopal
"Cabaleiro orante de Beade". Francisco de Moure (1º cuarto do s. XVII)
Nosa Señora do Refuxio (último terzo do século XII)