The Museums Department is the administrative unit that coordinates all museum-related activities in the Autonomous Community of Galicia. It is responsible for the control of the movable heritage stored at the museums and other visitable collections owned by the Regional Government and the Spanish state and assigned to the Directorate General of Cultural Politics, as well as those that make up the Galician Museums System. This Department also provides advice and acts as a vehicle for continuous collaboration between technical staff from the different museums, so as to achieve a single, unified institutional policy regarding the procedures and the technical care and treatment of the collections.
Department Manager: Nuria Serrano Téllez
Address: Cidade da Cultura. Edificio da Biblioteca e Arquivo de Galicia, 1º andar. 15707 Santiago de Compostela
Tel: 981 545 934 - 881 999 009
Fax: 881 999 740
The Museums Department has the following functions:
- Technical management and coordination of the Galician Museums System and its various networks, and inspection of Galician museums and the cultural heritage they contain.
- Managing the Museums owned by the Regional Government and assigned to this Ministry, and those owned by the Spanish state whose management has been transferred to the Autonomous Community of Galicia.
- Processing and reporting on the procedures for the creation, authorization and classification of museums and visitable collections in accordance with current legislation.
- Updating and control of the registry and census of museums in Galicia.
- Keeping an inventory of the movable heritage conserved in Galician museums, and careful control of all movements, restorations and reproductions of said movable heritage.
- Technical support and advice in all aspects of movable heritage and museums of interest for Galicia.
- Scheduling, coordination and management of all activities relating to the increase, conservation, documentation, research and dissemination of the movable heritage stored in Galician museums.
- Valuation for administrative purposes of cultural assets of interest to museums.
- Dealings required for increasing the movable heritage of the Museums owned or managed by the Regional Government by assignment or deposit and the different ways in which pieces can enter the collection.
- In general, all those functions that may be entrusted to it on the basis of its particular expertise.
Permits and applications
The Museums Department is responsible for the processing of applications relating to:
- The control of movements, restorations and reproductions of the movable heritage in the museums and collections belonging to the Galician Museums System: control of the pieces leaving the museums and of those undergoing interventions or restorations.
- Increases in and documentation of the movable heritage of Galicia:
- Acquisitions, donations and deposits (on loan) of pieces in the museums managed by the Regional Government of Galicia.
- Inventories of the movable heritage in the museums and collections in the Galician Museums System.
- Deposits of archaeological findings in museums and collections in the Galician Museums System.
- Authorization, recognition and creation of museums or visitable collections in the Autonomous Community of Galicia.
- Authorization of publications, reproductions and the economic management of regional and state-owned museums assigned to the Directorate General of Cultural Politics.
- Management of agreements.
Museums managed by the Regional Government of Galicia
- Museums assigned to the Directorate General of Cultural Politics:
- Owned by the Regional Government:
- Owned by the Spanish government but whose management has been transferred to the Regional Government of Galicia:
Galician Museums System
The Galician Museums System is made up of all the museums and visitable collections of different kinds owned by different bodies in the Autonomous Community of Galicia, authorized by the Regional Ministry of Culture and Tourism and registered in the Census of Museums and Collections.
The powers attributed to the Regional Ministry of Culture and Tourism in this field are exercised above all in the museums it owns and in the state-owned museums that it manages, and also in the over 70 museums and collections spread around the different parts of Galicia, and belonging to local administrations, private foundations and the Church.
These museums and collections are classified as follows: