The School of Nosa Señora da Antiga is also known as the School of the Cardinal (after its constructor) or School of the Society (after its managers). People also call it the "Galician Escorial", due to the size of the building. The school was built between late 16th century and early 17th century, under the patronage of the cardinal Rodrigo de Castro and was managed by the Society of Jesus. The goal was to cover the educational need of the region and all Galicia. Since 1873, the school was managed by the Piarists.
The monumental ensemble, located in a large terrace in the centre of Monforte comprises the building of the school with the Herrerian façade, the Church of Nosa Señora da Antiga, the cloister and the museum. The church houses important artworks, including the main altarpiece, made of walnut wood by Francisco de Moure at the beginning of the 17th century. Another important piece is the statue of the cardinal Rodrigo de Castro made of bronze by Xoán de Boloña.
The museum, is located in the old sacristy, hosting a small collection of pieces donated by the cardinal - like the precious bibliographic pieces, the documentary files and the liturgical ornaments. Above all, the most special collection of the museum is the gallery with two oil paintings by El Greco and five panels by Andrea del Sarto.
P.P. Escolapios. Campo da Compañía, 50
27400, Monforte de Lemos
Tlf. 982 404 715 (Municipal Office of Tourism)
Guided tours only Tuesday to Sunday.
The visit includes the façade, the monumental staircase, the cloister, the church and the museum-art gallery.
Consult schedules of visits in the Municipal Office of Tourism of Monforte de Lemos.
General admission: €4