In 1947 the Rosalía de Castro Patronage was created in order to recover the Casa da Matanza. The house was restored in 1971 and today it is owned by the Rosalía de Castro Foundation, which carries on with the work started by the Patronage. Among the Foundation's main objectives is to raise awareness about the figure and work of Rosalía de Castro while also spreading the work of her husband, historian Manuel Murguía. The Foundation also guarantees the conservation of the House Museum and the writer's Mausoleum at the church of San Domingos de Bonaval in Santiago.
The house is dedicated Rosalía de Castro's memory, who lived in there with her husband and children until her death in 1837. The place is surrounded by a green space, former orchard and nowadays a recreation of the typical 19th century garden. The house is a two-storey home. Ground floor hosts the reception and an approach to the literary figure of the writer. First floor, called O Seu ('Hers') is a recreation of a typical cottage of the time - in-between a farm and a hidalgo house - with a kitchen, a dinning room, two bedroom and one library. The visitor can also observe several editions of her works in display cabinets and a great variety of objects, witness of the importance of Rosalía de Castro.
A Matanza s/n
Tlf. 981 811 204
Summer opening hours (July to September):
From 10 am to 2 pm and from 4 pm to 8 pm.
Rest of the year:
From 10 am to 1.30 pm and from 4 om to 7 pm.
Sudays and holidays from 10 am to 1.30 pm.
Individual ticket: €3
Groups over 20 people: €2
Schools (over age 6): €1
Schools (under age 6): free
Friends, protectors and patrons: free